What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a teeth-straightening system developed for patients seeking a straight and beautiful smile without having to wear traditional metal braces.
It utilizes clear plastic, removable aligners (what the clear braces are called) that are much less noticeable than traditional braces.
Combining sophisticated 3D imaging and CAD/CAM technology, this breakthrough innovation allows the dentist to deliver a precise treatment plan and customize special aligners for a completely metal-free teeth-straightening experience.
What is the Invisalign process like?
Here’s a step-by-step process to guide you along:
- The treatment process starts at the initial consultation, where the doctor assesses your teeth structure and decides whether Invisalign is right for you or not.
- Once you are deemed suitable, the dentist will draw up a detailed treatment plan, taking into consideration factors such as your lifestyle and dental history.
- In order to customize a set of braces according to your precise teeth dimensions, the dentist will take X-ray impressions, dental moulds and photographs of your teeth and send them to Align Technology, the makers of Invisalign.
- The Align dental technicians will take a CT scan of your dental mould, and using predictive technology, anticipate how your teeth are to be realigned.
- A digital image will be created for each step of your dental recovery. Customized Invisalign aligners are then created based on the digital images.
- You will be able to see the different stages of the treatment and how your smile is recovered at each stage of your treatment via Invisalign’s digitalization software. Typically, 20-30 aligners are used for each Invisalign arch.
- Once they are ready, usually within a month of the impression-taking session, you will be issued the first series of aligners.
- The doctor might also undertake some filings on your teeth in order to ensure that the Invisalign braces fit perfectly on the teeth.
- For best results, the braces should be worn at all times (about 20-22 hours) a day with the exception of eating and drinking.
- You will be asked to change to a new aligner as prescribed in the series every two weeks or so.
- We will monitor your progress every 6-8 weeks. You will be given another series of aligners to wear until the next appointment.
- Some patience on your part will be necessary to stay with the program – although the Invisalign treatment is much more convenient than traditional metallic dental braces.
Do I make a good candidate for Invisalign?
Whether for adults or teens, Invisalign is a suitable teeth-straightening system for correcting most cases of misaligned teeth.
That said, there are certain cases that require more precise control of teeth like those of impacted tooth, closure of extraction, teeth with poor bone levels, and so on. These situations necessitate more control over the movement of the teeth which may be difficult to achieve with a removable aligner.
That is why we recommend booking an initial consultation so that our dentist may be able to recommend the best course of action for your specific dental situation.
Are you looking for a way to straighten your teeth that does not involve metal braces?
Our friendly dental team at Molonglo Dental Surgery would love to help you out – just give us a ring at 02 6287 1222.